You don't have to be a loony, mad or brave... but it helps.
Welcome 2016 with a splash by taking part in the breathtaking Stoats Loony Dook at South Queensferry – the annual dip in the freezing Firth of Forth in the shadow of the world-famous Forth Bridges.
For 30 years, thousands of people have taken the New Year plunge, raising tens of thousands of pounds for charities across the UK.
This year, the event is brought to you by us at Stoats, your favourite porridge pioneers. We’ll be there on the day, warming everyone up with bowls of energising porridge, plenty of giveaways and a fabulous fancy dress photo stage. From there, participants will join the Dooker Parade through the High Street before throwing themselves into the freezing Firth of Forth!
Spectators are welcome to cheer on the Dookers at various vantage points along the route or down on the beach. South Queensferry has a variety of pubs, cafes and restaurants, all open on New Year’s Day.
Our friends at Stagecoach will be running an enhanced New Year’s Day bus service to South Queensferry, so that Dookers and spectators can get to and from the event. The journey time from Edinburgh city centre to South Queensferry is about 45mins.
The Stoats Loony Dook is part of Edinburgh’s Hogmanay official world-famous New Year celebrations. The three days of spectacular events also include the Torchlight Procession, Concert in the Gardens with Biffy Clyro and the Hogmanay Street Party.
This year Edinburgh’s Hogmanay has partnered with Unicef, the world's leading children's organisation, to raise vital funds for their work to protect children affected by disasters and conflicts, like the one in Syria. You can help make a difference by making a donation to Unicef when you purchase your event tickets. Ticketholders will also have the chance to be part of the first ever New Year's 'Big Resolution' – a unifying moment on the 31st December to help keep vulnerable children safe from danger.
- Registration Fee - £10.00 (Inc. Box Office Booking Fee)
- Check-in at RNLI Lifeboat Station - between 12.30pm – 2pm
- Stoats Porridge warm-up - 12.30pm onwards
- Parade Starts - 2.30pm
- Stoats Loony Dook - 2.40pm approx.
- Fancy Dress is BEST!
- Wear shoes to enter the water (stony beach)
- South Queensferry has a variety of pubs, cafes and restaurants, all open on New Year’s Day
- Last year’s event was a total SELL-OUT!
- Dookers must buy a ticket in advance and check-in on the day (no ticket sales at event)
- Family and friends are encouraged to get down to the beach early to support the Dookers
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult
- Please bring a change of warm clothing